Bulldogs Gain Split at UMD 2-4 and 6-3
Even though it has been a season of split after split, this one marks a big step. UMD has struggled with UND, especially in Grand Forks.
The main take away from the weekend that can be seen in both games is more penalties leads to losses. Each night were penalty filled affairs, but in each one team took more. UMD took more penalties Friday while losing and UND found the same Saturday.
With that lesson once again learned, here is the Up, Down, Neutral for the weekend:
- Resiliency shown Friday night to tie the game Friday by the Bulldogs was refreshing to see. Even though it was a loss, UMD did not give up.
- Freshman scoring continues to be a staple of the team. On the weekend, freshman scored four of the eight goals.
- Penalties continue for yet another season to be an issue for the Bulldogs. UMD is eighth in the nation for penalty minutes per game, 17.7. This weekend’s opponent, UMTC, is 54th with 9.5 minutes per game.
- Splits are OK, but it is difficult to know where this team stands with their up and down performances.
- The jury is still out about consistent offensive output. The problem is if the defense can’t keep the score low, the team cannot count on the offense to pick up the slack.